Can You Use a Steam Mop On Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Vinyl flooring is a perfect flooring system for any house and is mostly preferred over all other marble and tiles option as a cheaper way to make the interiors look compelling. However, it used to be in the form of stickers which are prone to tear and hard to peel off while changing it. Now planks of vinyl are available in the market, which makes the work easier with the same expensive looks as in the past models.
However, besides an expensive look to interiors, it is hard to maintain too. Even though waterproof vinyl planks are seen in the market, using water or steam on it may cause damage by penetrating inside the grooves.
Use of steam cleaners on Vinyl planks
Steam mops are the latest efficient cleaners which can ensure a neat and clean environment with a negligible percentage of germs and bacteria and not even a trace of bad odors around. However, with those effective applications and incredible performance, there comes some riddling matter of worries as well. One of them is use of steam mop for hardwood floors, which can peel off or can cause cracks on the surface and also can cause cloudiness too.
Vinyl planks are also one of such affected floorings from steam cleaners which may result in some adverse conditions. It is not at all recommended to use intense heat steam on those floors as they can totally damage the shape and quality of the plank from within.
Effects of using steam cleaners on vinyl planks
- Vinyl is one kind of plastic and plastic are known to be less resistive to heat which is why the shape of the entire floor can be affected.
- The intensely hot steam gets penetrated inside the grooves and bends the whole plank due to expansion.
- Use of high intense steam may also cause damage to the look of the floor thus reducing the shine of it.
- Made from synthetic materials and polyurethane coating it can resist the effects of intense heat only for some time.
- An unusual odor starts to spread all around the house after using the steam or water on the vinyl floors which stays for hours.
- These planks are made to stick with each other by using glue and heat can certainly reduce the stickiness to a great extent which can separate the planks easily.
Precautions to take while using a steam cleaner on vinyl floors
Even though there can be several adverse effects while using steam cleaners on vinyl planks, certain precautions can be effective in cleaning them. Use of normal water with less heat with natural cleanser and vinegar can be an effective measure to clean such floors easily. Even harder stains and bad odor can be removed easily by using vinegar on it.
However, the use of intensely heat steam can always be a bad prop to clean such floors from all aspects possible. The advanced steam cleaner contains the regulator for variable settings. These can clean the floor and can bring back the shine too.